Vein problems are some of the most common problems that patients face. They can develop as the result of changes in hormones, shifts in weight, high blood pressure, genetics and a long list of reasons. While treating venous insufficiency may offer some relief from problems like varicose and spider veins, it generally will not remove moderate to severe symptoms. This happens because the valves in the veins become deformed.
Surgery, while successful at removing problematic veins, may not be the best option for all patients. It can require excessive periods of recovery, create scars and result in pain that lasts for weeks to months after the vein has been removed.
Non-surgical vein treatments may be more beneficial for some patients depending upon the size and location of their problematic veins. These options work by creating clots, which in turn stop the blood flow to the problem veins.
How Do Non-Surgical Vein Treatments Work?
Non-surgical vein treatments work by creating clots in the offending veins. They may utilize a chemical to adhere to the walls of the veins, which in turn helps to form a clot; irritate the walls of the vein to form a clot; or alter the venous tissue in a way that shrinks the vein while helping a clot to form.
While the exact method will vary depending upon the treatment, the result tends to be the same. These treatments will stop the blood flow to the vein, which in turn results in the vein’s eventual destruction. The tissue is absorbed by the body as the vein remains unused, which in turn helps to prevent the veins from becoming a problem once more.
What Are the Benefits of Non-Surgical Vein Treatments?
Due to the differences between surgical and non-surgical vein treatments, non-surgical options offer a number of unique benefits to patients. These benefits include:
- Lessened discomfort due to treatment
- No lasting visible signs of treatment, like scarring from surgery
- Faster recovery when compared to surgical treatments
- Significantly less anesthetic is used when compared to surgical stripping of veins
- Non-surgical treatments have less of an effect on a patient’s life than surgical treatments
- Treatments like sclerotherapy and laser vein therapy tend to become stable within one to two days of treatment, which allows for patients to resume their usual activities sooner than surgical treatments allow
- A reduced risk of complications when the right treatment option is chosen for the patient
Are Non-Surgical Vein Treatments Ideal for You?
Non-surgical vein treatments for problematic veins represent some of the more robust and convenient options for patients. However, the size of the vein, its location and other factors relating to the unique needs of the patient will determine how successful non-surgical vein treatments will be. To learn more about non-surgical vein treatment options, or to see if these treatments are ideal for you, schedule a consultation at Beach Cities Vein and Laser Center in El Segundo. We happily serve the Los Angeles and surrounding areas. Contact us today to book your appointment!